Join Alyssa Wills, Erin Gonzalez, Landon Shaw II and Ben Lowe for Quartetto, a concert of opera arias culminating in beautiful quartets sung by the group at the Rancho Mirage Public Library on Wednesday, January 17 at 7 pm.This is a free community event, part of Palm Springs Opera Guild’s outreach and education initiative made possible by generous donations from our members and special supporters. Contact the Guild office at 760.325.6107 for more information.
A program for high school classical vocal training.
Two composers, three singers, a librettist, a coordinator, plus an accompanist, come together for OPERAtunity - a ten-day vocal workshop intensive for 15 qualified high school singers from the Palm Springs Unified School District.
This intensive program, OPERAtunity, will take place January 10 – 21, 2018 and begins with a placement audition at each school the week before the workshops. Of the students chosen for the intensive, no more than five will be from each school (DHSHS, RMHS, CCHS, PSHS). The workshops are college level and are aimed at career preparation for students interested in exploring a career either as singers, or in the administrative world of classical music.
During the intensive, students will be assigned at least one solo piece and one ensemble repertoire that will introduce them to the concepts and techniques inherent to classical vocal performance (breath support, diction, practice/time-management, stage presence, historical context, and modern developments.)
Throughout the workshop, students will work one-on-one with the professional staff preparing for a showcase at the end of the program which will include scenes from Speed Dating Tonight – Michael Ching’s comic opera Speed Dating Tonight! which tells the story of a single hour in the lives of a group of people experiencing speed dating for the first time. It takes place in a local restaurant and includes colorful characters like a car salesman, origami designer, realtor, Tech addicts, and an over-the-top cat lover. Love at first sight, as well as two exes running into each other, are just two of the comical and romantic moments. The students will learn and perform this modern-day opera over the course of 11 days.
The show, at the Helene Galen Performing Arts Center on Sunday, January 21, will feature the high-school singers. In addition, one student will take part in the Palm Springs Opera Guild’s Quartetto performance at the Rancho Mirage Library on Wednesday, January 17.
For information on how to attend the following events please contact the Guild office at 760.325.6107.
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018 – 7 pm – Quartetto, Alyssa Wills, Erin Gonzalez, Landon Shaw II and Ben Lowe in an Adult Community Outreach program at Rancho Mirage Public Library – free and open to the public
- January 9-21, 2018 – OPERAtunity – PSOG partners with the Palm Springs Unified School District to work with high school students in vocal studies
- Monday, January 22, 2018 – 8 pm – Nathan Gunn, Baritone – McCallum Theater, Palm Desert – free for Allegro and Bravissimo members
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 – 5 pm – 50th Anniversary Gala – Palm Springs Art Museum and Annenberg Theater – fundraiser open to the public
- Wednesday, March 21, 2018 – Société d’ Allegro Dinner – Eight4Nine Restaurant– ‘Fifty Shades of Opera’ – Allegro members only
- Sunday, April 8, 2018 – 1 pm – 20th annual Opera in the Park – open to the public
- Tuesday, April 24, 2018 – Thank You Party and Election of Officers – open to all members
- May/June, 2018 – 14th annual Opera in the Schools – Over 15,000 Students in the Palm Springs Unified School District will benefit from the Guild’s Educational Outreach Program